Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Steal my Show

What a night!

Have you ever had someone repeatedly poke your arm in the middle of the night and say, "Wake up, wake up, I need to talk to you"?

Yep, that was my night.

God was saying just that. It was almost like I knew the "serious talk" was coming. "Okay, okay! I'm up!"

I started praying, asking for Him to tell me what He needed to--prayed that my 2am heart would be receptive (and cognisant). With the rush of upcoming classes, programs at work, and fitness/weightloss, I quickly began losing sight of all he had prepared me to do this semester. Don't get me wrong, all of these make me who I am, and they are all good things. But that's just it--classes, programs, weightloss--they're only things. Focused back on material items, beauty, and outward adornment, I took a step in the wrong direction. To sum it up, I was just becoming self-centered again. (Why is this so easy?!)

He led me to this scripture and it turned my night upside down.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." Philippians 2:3-7

He reminded me that He should be my main focus. There's a wonderful song by Vicky Beeching titled "The Wonder of the Cross". These lyrics became a prayer in my heart tonight: "May I never lose the wonder, the wonder of the Cross". Amen to that!

After turning on my Spotify (since I wasn't able to sleep anyway), a song I had never heard before started playing. I'm not much of a Toby Mac fan (sorry!!), so I don't have any of his music on my lists. However, at some point, this song was added to my playlist--"Steal my Show". I was cleaning my room, and just caught the first part of the lyrics, and I couldn't believe it! I listened to the entire song, and it was absolutely relevant to the conversation I just finished with Christ. Needless to say, it was a miracle that it ended up on my playlist, and played at that moment in time. 

The lyrics that caught me?

If You wanna steal my show, I'll sit back and watch You go
If You got somethin' to say, go on and take it away
Need You to steal my show, can't wait to watch You go
So take it away...

My life
My friends
My heart
It's all Yours, God
Take it away
My dreams
My fears
My family
My career
Take it away
Take it away
It's all Yours, God
Take it away
Take it away
It's You I wanna live for.


Alright, Toby--I'll cut you some slack. 
What an amazing experience with the Holy Spirit tonight. Just thought I'd share.


Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment