Welcome to 2013!
When I think back to my own “life plan” from this time last year, I could never have imagined how much God would intervene. God is never-failing, and I am always amazed at how much He knows me better than I know myself!
“I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” - Jeremiah 1:5
He has appointed everyone a unique mission--will you accept yours?
My number one resolution for 2012 was to become truly joyful in the Lord Jesus Christ. Please note that I did not say “happy” or “easy” or “comfortable”. These words, to me, express temporary feelings that are stolen by the trials of life. God has molded my heart throughout the year, and prepared me for the work I was created to do. I have found that in order to understand the true value (and gift) of life, one must understand the true meaning of the Gospel.
"He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed." 1 Peter 2:24
I mean, seriously, does anybody else feel like dancing for joy when they read that?!
There were a few highlights in 2012 that absolutely changed my life (for the Glory of God!):
- Community Group – I have grown closer with my church family, and have expanded my Bible knowledge (as well as practical application of the Word).
- Mentoring – Right before the turn of the year, I started to mentor two additional young ladies.
- Obedience to God – It has been difficult, but I truly believe that this past year, I was able to put my personal preferences aside, to follow the commands of God. He has confirmed my decisions on various occasions, thus encouraging me to press on. "For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
- Confidence in Him – Before I had the strength of Jesus Christ within me, I was unsure about my future, my calling, and my ability to fulfill his purpose for me. But thankfully, I have grown to live by the words of Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- New faces – I have met so many new (and amazing) people within this past year. Whether it was at work, church or simply the quick crossing of paths, God has placed numerous Christ-centered people in my life. They have provided encouragement, fresh perspectives, and opportunities for growth.
I’m so excited to see what is in store for 2013. I have listed a few resolutions for the new year!
- Mentoring—In 2012, I slipped a bit with my mentee from Big Brothers, Big Sisters. My plan for this year is to begin growing with her spiritually, as well as the girls from the Carpenter Place.
- Church Involvement – I plan to stay involved with the children’s ministry, as well as the hospitality for my church! The opportunity to serve my church family is an answered prayer. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16
- Family Time—So many precious moments with family can be lost because of busy schedules (mainly my own schedule…) I pray that 2013 will bring me much love, much laughter, and many memories with my beautiful family.
I pray that you have a successful year, and that God blesses you immensely! I ask that you please pray for Imani, Josie, and Justice as they are all entering an age of critical development, surrounded by a society that is saturated with false messages.
Attached below is a song by Audio Adrenaline that has such a wonderful message, and it is absolutely relevant to my current mission. Give it a listen--you won't regret it.
Thanks for reading!